Thursday 5 January 2012

The Point and purpose of Love from God



John 15:9 “In the same way that the Father has loved me, I have also loved you; remain in my love. If you obey my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that my joy may be in you, and your joy may be complete. My commandment is this – to love one another just as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this – that he lays down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because the slave does not understand what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, because I have revealed to you everything I heard from my Father. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that remains, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. 15:17 This is my command to you – love one another.”
Jesus is not saying “as you offer praise and worship, you will find it easier to love one another.” “As you continue to attend church on Sunday you will find it easier to love one another”. We need to get our plumbing straight: Our horizontal relationships determine the value of our vertical relationships.
Jesus has His plumbing straight: “as the Father has loved me I have loved you...” This is our model. It is not by “having Church and having it abundantly” that we have a meaningful relationship with the Lord.
I have attended meetings where we sang ourselves stupid but we were no more spiritual as a result. The real work of faith happens on the coalface.
His love flows through us to others and to us from others. The gifts and manifestations of the Holy Spirit will occur naturally and so will praise and worship without being whipped up. 1 Thessalonians 3:12 “And may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we do for you, 3:13 so that your hearts are strengthened in holiness to be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints”.
1 Peter 1:22 “You have purified your souls by obeying the truth in order to show sincere mutual love. So love one another earnestly from a pure heart” Worship and praise do not of themselves accomplish this. They flow from this.
Someone will say “I love Jesus!” (With the unspoken inference that others don’t count.) They may say “by worshipping I am ‘drawing near to God so He will draw near to me’ James 4:8. Where is God? Read the passage in context. Same with the Idea of ‘seeking things “above”; where is “above?” Colossians 3:1 + see vs. 13.
When I love you, I am loving Jesus. 1 John 4:19 “We love because he loved us first. If anyone says “I love God” and yet hates his fellow Christian, he is a liar, because the one who does not love his fellow Christian whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. 4:21 and the commandment we have from him is this: that the one who loves God should love his fellow Christian too.”START AT HOME!
The promise is that His joy will be in us! We will worship from a spontaneous pure motivation not just because its ‘church again’. How odd that we should try to return Gods love to Him without allowing that love to accomplish its full purpose. Jesus never discussed the requirements of our vertical relationship with God! He did not say “go to church and worship a lot then my love will flow!” Get the plumbing straight, Let His love flow then everything else will be a joy. Make this a year of loving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment