Sunday 1 April 2012

An Easter Dilemma


How do we portray the crucifixion? I asked myself this question while searching online for ideas to reflect Easter on our billboard. The Holy Spirit gave the words “ask Him why...” now I needed an image that amplified that challenge.

When I saw the many ‘stylized’ images of the cross of Jesus, I was somewhat offended at the licence and creativity of artists who seem to make the ugly event somehow sanitized and ‘arty’. As a believer I am under no illusions as to the gritty reality of sin and hatred poured on Jesus. These images do not capture the extreme brutality of the event, so for me they seem unreal.
There is no need to offend with an image of gory realism but neither is it necessary to portray a gushy Easter bunny/eggs and buns as representing what Jesus did.
The idea of an open hand with a crucifixion nail piercing it presented itself; the alternative seemed to be just a simple depiction of the cross. The open hand gives a loving invitation now brutally answered by a large rusty nail. It seems like that when people reject the Gospel message. A simple image of a cross could be appropriate but not provocative enough to jolt peoples thinking. The hand won out; however, I now had the dilemma of whether it would be offensive. Galatians 5:11suggests that the notion of a cross is offensive to non believers anyway so nothing is new. Let’s put it up and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment